Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Our Renaissance Adventure

Studying knights & castles has definitely been interesting. I decided to take the kids to the Kentucky Renaissance Festival on June 11th, when I could get Jon in free, along with Trinnie & Jonah, by bringing a canned good. We loaded up the van- see how much Thirty-One I use?

We headed to a campground one exit up from LaGrange and only a few miles from the Festival. It was gorgeous there. Alot of the campground was taken up with people who lived there all the time- or at least enough they felt the need to build decks around their RV's. We were in a tent, that will be important in just a minute. Here's the view from our spot by the lake. Breath taking isn't it?

It was a beautiful evening until about midnight when the wind picked up. Enough to wake me up, which says quite a bit when I have 3 sleeping babies and they aren't moving a muscle. Thank goodness for weather apps! We were in for gusts up to 40 mph and scattered thunderstorms. Well, the wind continued through the night so severely that I had to get up several times to re-stake the tent. That's pretty drastic considering all that we had in there and I had moved most of it around the corners to keep it weighted. All the time the wind is going it's also lightening- no rain, just spectacular lightening. And thunder, which the kids continued to sleep through. Jon is normally afraid of storms so his undisturbed rest is still a mystery to me! Along about 5am I woke up, not even realizing I dozed off. It was calm. Not in good way. I got a bad feeling and decided to act on it. Now have I mentioned that Leah was being a total turd and had slept in the van? Well, she got a rude awakening when I jumped in and started it. I pulled it as close to the tent as I could per Trinnie's suggestion. She had woken up just a few seconds after I did. Once the van was in position I woke the boys and had all 3 make a jump into the van. The heavens burst and the rain just poured! The wind picked up again and the tent started flapping like crazy- I never even stopped- I just started emptying the tent, throwing things like crazy into the van. I figured if it blew away it wasn't taking any of my stuff! Blankets and all were shoved and piled on kids. In about 60 seconds I was done, van doors shut and we sat for the next hour watching the sheets of rain pound the windshield and rock the van. After the storm finally blew over we made a restroom break then headed to McD's- someplace dry and didn't require a camp fire with wet wood.
After breakfast we made it back to the campground, showered and prepared for our day at the festival. It was sunny & beautiful! We browsed the shops, saw a couple shows and the best part~ the jousting! See more...

They did a skills tournament first and then went for the full on joust. The picture on the left is one of the knights being presented to the Queen and on the right the knights came over to the spectators to show off at the end. After the jousting we walked over to where the shows were held and saw a comedy skit & a belly dancing act.

She was thrilled!  After all of the excitement of the previous night I was ready to head back to the campground and relax. I decided a ride out on the lake to be the perfect idea. We got a row boat for the rest of the evening and mandatory life jackets. Leah was not thrilled at this AT ALL! But I will spare you the pictures with the obscene gestures and show off the cuties. Leah did most of the rowing (her choice) and I sat back and somewhat relaxed as much as a mom can in a rowboat with a 3 year old. No one fell in so it's all good. After rowing until we had to have the boat back we went back, started a fire and had dinner. Hot dogs, corn and s'mores! Yum!  The rest of our Saturday night was very UN- eventful after the first night at camp. We lazily made our way home the next morning. I think the kids enjoyed all of it except Leah, who at least had the van all to herself the second night. And I slept so good after being up all night Friday it honestly was refreshing over all. I can't say I've never been in a tent during a storm anymore! That was a first! And the KY RenFest was so much nicer than Ohio's, just friendlier.I know we will be going back next year. After we get our lapbooks done I will post those too. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment